Meet Your Users
Module: UX / Interactive Design | Level: Easy | Estimated Time: 2-3 days
Skills: User Research, User Personas
The first step is to understand your chosen app/website’s users. Who uses this product? How and why do they use this product? What about the UX (rather than the content) keeps them coming back?
You can conduct any kind of user research you like to answer these questions, such as:
- Interviews and surveys (e.g., in person, phone, video call, email, web based)
- Focus groups and field studies
- Eye tracking, click testing, and heat mapping
- Online reviews (e.g., app store reviews)
Use your findings to create two user personas, focusing on the user’s motivations, goals, and roadblockers. Remember, these are the people you’re designing for, so their needs will impact all design decisions moving forward.
Document your user research findings in a presentable format (e.g., graphs, charts, infographics) for your chosen app/website, and create two user personas based on your findings.
Upload the finished project to your Skillshare portfolio.
Write a blurb explaining your design approach and points of feedback you’d like to receive.
Give feedback on another student’s project.
- Design Personas vs Marketing Personas: They Are Different
- Complete Beginner’s Guide to User Research
- How to Choose a User Research Method
- 7 Great, Tried and Tested UX Research Techniques
- How To Conduct User Experience Research Like A Professional
Basic Design Resources
- Heat Mapping: Crazy Egg
- Surveys: SurveyMonkey, Wufoo, Typeform, Polldaddy, SurveyGizmo
- Screencasts/Recordings: UX Recorder, Morae, Screencastify, Lookback